- We are looking for a long term relationship with someone seeking full time work.
- This position is available anywhere in the United States.
- Work sponsorship not available. (no recruiters please)
Backend Web Software Developer
We're looking for a passionate and pragmatic backend (application, server, database, and DevOps focused) programmer of B2B SaaS. As a member of our small team (squad), you'll be involved in every aspect of product development, from plan to production, collaborating directly with client stakeholders (C-level executives), product managers, designers, and other developers.
As an experienced backend programmer, you'll be comfortable leading projects from inception (architecture) to bug fixes (support), and everything in between. At Vaporware, we look for T-shaped people that are highly skilled and specialized in one facet of our business, but can collaborate and understand on a large diversity of topics.
You'll have a long history of software development, and want to be specialized in server-side programming, which includes architecture, design, development, and support of things like:
- Monolith MVC, Microservices, and Serverless Functions (Ruby on Rails, NodeJS, or Go)
- API Design (REST, GraphQL)
- Relational, Key-Value, and Event Stream Databases (Postgres, Redis, Kafka)
- Logging, Debugging, Performance, and Security Best-Practices
- Version Control, Automated Testing, CI/CD Pipelines, and Feature Flagging
- Containers, VMs, and Server Management through DevOps and Platforms as a Service (Heroku, AWS, GCP)
You enjoy learning new technologies and staying on top of the ever-changing development landscape. You care about your development toolkit and third-party service providers. Most importantly, you've shipped products and are looking for constant improvement.
While you won't specialize in these, you'll interact with other developers, product managers, designers, and executives, so you'll be able to collaborate (understand and loosely hold opinions) on things like:
- HTML, CSS, and JS Web Frontend Development
- JS React Native and Mobile Frontend Development
- User Experience Design and Usability
- Product Prioritization, Business Value, and Product Launches
- Design Systems & UI Kits
- Wireframes, Mockups, and Prototypes
- Usage Metrics and Customer Data Tracking
Getting ramped up
Onboarding to a new company is always a challenge. We've set the following objectives for your first 90 days at Vaporware.
Within 30 days, you will start
- Joining a project leader on a client project to learn how we communicate with clients
- Taking part in sprints and daily standups on an existing client team
- Handling your own GTD-driven task list in Asana with requests coming from client meetings and Slack communication.
- Providing and receive constructive feedback on pull request code reviews and use our established Git flow
- Maintaining unit and feature test coverage across products to maintain high code quality
- Committing code directly to client features designed by your peers
- Target 30% billable and 70% ramp up time
- Contribute to a Vaporware owned and operated product
- Publishing something new you've learned to the development community through our Blog or other social channels
Within 60 days, you'll be responsible
- Transpose product requirements to technical designs
- Leadership communication and management responsibilities as a designated development leader on a client product
- Target 80% billable and 20% internal time to research and improve to non-client efforts
- Stay on top of the latest technology changes within client's tech stack
- Introduce process improvements to development practices at Vaporware, owning a gap you've discovered
Within 90 days, you'll be comfortable
- Helping Vaporware leadership sell projects by collaborating on new project planning or prospecting
- Kicking off new products under the Vaporware lean development process
- Estimating development needs for new products or features
- Recommending product solutions to client problems
- Architecting scalable technology solutions
- Supporting existing maintenance clients on a proactive basi
- Has worked as a consultant or with client-facing relationships
- Has managed or led a software development team (3+ developers)
- Has released and maintained Open Source software packages (5+ contributors)
It is Vaporware's policy to provide equal employment for all persons regardless of race, color, nationality, ancestry, religion, age, disability, gender, sexual orientation, gender identify, body, genetic information, marital status, political belief or activity, or status as a veteran.